Monday

...speaking of Escapism!

I saw this independent film over the weekend called “Lars and the Real Girl”. Now, if I may play film critic/on staff psychologist for a moment. This movie was extremely peculiar! Short of it….an emotionally lost, yet gentle-man named Lars, finds solace, comfort & relief in an anatomically correct life-size blow up doll. Now, before you start thinking anything freaky…(the director created the film where that was never an issue) Before the doll was ordered…. (yes, that’s right I said ordered off the internet), Lars lived his life in what I call an emotional warehouse (no expression, no touching, no loving) and he was absolutely accommodating with most things that came his way. But once the doll showed up in a big crate….it not only gave him life, but “A LIFE”! Slightly delusional, huh? Well…without ruining the movie….layers of his emotions started to emerge or maybe even resurface… depending on how you viewed the film. Needless to say, the “doll” became the heroine in the film, and eventually he was able to unravel his emotional knots and show a hint of emotion to others. In so many words, the doll became his “link”…his “rope”…his “lifeline” to what he had lost, or never had. http://www.filmcritic.com/misc/emporium.nsf/reviews/Lars-and-the-Real-Girl

I know you’re thinking…that’s ”willy weird”, or even better…why didn’t I just go & see “Why did I get Married”… LOL I wonder myself…(smiles)
But after digesting the movie I ask you…

…are you stuck in an emotional warehouse? If I asked you to close your eyes and begin peeling your innermost layers away, would I still know you …or more importantly, who or what would be your “doll” (so to speak), your “link”…your “rope” in letting go?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course I"m stuck in an emotional warehouse it's part of the human experience!! dUHHHH

But who would be my " doll?" My link to life? It would have to be the me inside that I shut up long ago for some unknown reason. I can't think of any one or thing that could bring me outta this to be honest.

I bought a dog thinking it would be a sort of defibillator..NOT.

I spent more time with me and I got lonelier. I spent time with my daughter and felt..pathetic.

So it's just gotta be a decision that I make to stop procrastinating and being fearful of life. I use to LOVE LIFE and it showed on my face, my body and my work... Then we broke up (LOL!) But seriously the issue is that I have everything I need inside to LIFE OUT LOUD but the peeling away the layers is the challenge.

When you don't wanna expose your soul to just anyone who or what do you do to peel away the layers? I confess I want to trust someone like that again but not in a romantic relationship just a friendship but no body has time anymore to listen. And I hesitate to put it in my journal because then I have to face it alone which is really what it's going to come down to in the end anyway right?

So just keep moving and looking for distractions and reasons to escape the YOU! LOL!!

And I still wanna see why did I get married...

Mon Oct 29, 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Breakfast at Tiffanys said...

No, I am not in an emotional warehouse. Others around me may think I should be.
I love life, people (a few), and all that life has to offer.
I don't want to go out of this world thinking I could have done more.
Right now financial obligations (kids!) do not allow me to do the things that I would like to do, but I can wait. It will come.
Also, please let's get some light hearted issue's in here.

Mon Oct 29, 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Nupe84 said...

Wow...emotional warehouse.

I remember (3) events in my life when I can say that I "opened up or changed"?

Men were not supposed to be emotional and I wasn't.

Event #1 - When I was 20 my 19 yr old girlfriend asked me "Do you love me...?" and I said "I do love you and I want to be with you for the rest of my life". I actually meant it and that changed me.

Event #2 - The birth of my daughter and I saw women in a totally different light.

Event #3 - The moment when I realized that GOD and Jesus where the same.

Those events make it possible for me to speak with emotion, feeling and compassion. Keeping our "fence up" is very safe and very easy. Once we let it down, we pour a MULTITUDE of emotions out on some unsuspecting person.

I prefer to listen...I can't FIX anything. Although that's my nature as a man.

Mon Oct 29, 02:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I really liked these blog topics. You don't really get to know about folks unless you give a venue for them to talk. Thanks soooo much for creating a space to ask and read and answer and read and ask and answer.

Introspection if not overdone is great for the soul and interaction with others. I think far to often we get lost in the excuses of responsibilities and obligations and begin to neglect ourselves.

We forget how to find things for free and create and play and then walk around with a mask on...holding on for the "One day" that is not on the calendar.

I truly appreciate the different perspectives on here. It's interesting what is taken literally and assumed rather than expanding the mind and engaging in a different kind of conversation.

hope you don't change it up too much. but then it ain't just for me...

Tue Oct 30, 01:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home