Monday

Thanks for coming out!!!


What started out as a routine run at Rice this Sunday, ended up as a boost of well needed energy topped with a slice of humble pie!

In the crisp morning air of what felt like artic temperatures for Texas, I met my friend Tracy at Rice University for a reluctant, yet well needed quick run. Unbeknownst to either of us, the Houston Marathon was in full gear just 5 feet away! It wasn’t long before I could feel the marathon runners’ energy as each one sprinted passed us in the opposite direction.

Some passed by with a considerable trot, a few were sprinting…and many were doing my all time favorite method of exercise…. briskly walking. lol Regardless of their method, I commend anyone undertaking 26 milesssssss of what I call “volunteered endurance”!!! As we continued on, what really fed me a huge dose of humbleness, was the man with one leg…ahead of the crowd on what I now know to be a “hand cranked wheelchair”! It made both Tracy and I literally pause in our tracks! Well that did it, a few minutes later; we became more motivated to cheer the crowd on, than our own workout!

Looking closely at each name tag…..we began shouting “Go Carlos”….”Keep up the good work Linda”….”Looking good Barry”…”Almost there Stacy”!! It was amazing how just hearing their names gave them an extra pep in their step and courage to keep goinnnnng….AND this was just at the 10th mile!!!! Tracy pointed out that each person listening to us cheer was saying “thanks for coming out”! Thanks for coming out??? Graciousness in the midst of endurance….Can there be such a thing? Talk about fortitude!!!! YEP…that pretty much made my day!!!

In fact, Tracy & I are optimistic about signing up for the ½ marathon next year! We’ll be the one’s with the T-shirts that read “Say my Name, Say my Name”, hoping to be cheered on to the finish line!!!!!
HOW WAS YOUR WEEKEND?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home