Monday

Weekend Spolight...

I visited 'Project Row Houses' in Houston!

“It is a neighborhood based art and cultural organization located in Houston's Third Ward. It's on the site of 22 abandoned "shotgun" houses to connect the work of artists with the revitalization of our community. It was inspired by the work of African-American artist Dr. John Biggers. Through the power of art, Project Row Houses has established programs that encompass arts and culture, neighborhood revitalization, low income housing, education, historic preservation, and community service" Each individual row houses' financial and material resources is sponsored by corporations, foundations & volunteers and the art projects rotate on a six month basis.”
Go check it out! http://www.projectrowhouses.org/

My Experience:

...okay, let me set it up for you. I walked into each individual house to see the artists' work. The photo above illustrates one of my favorite exhibits, called "Intertwined". As I walked into this house listening to the surround sound of a woman's voice & music, I noticed a number of items hanging by twine...written notes, trinkets, envelopes etc. ...each object could either be interpreted visually or verbally. The idea of the artist was to create a string of stories where matters of race and class become embedded within a larger space. What I liked was the invitation to participate!!!! You take an object hanging from the twine and leave something of your own on the twine. If you do not have an item to leave, you are offered the opportunity to write your own note to leave behind. I left a note that said “worth" and took a note that said "where are you headed". ...somethin' to think about, huh? Now that's what I call uninteruppted dialogue left to your own interpretation!

This was one of the many things I knew this was here in Houston...but never got the chance to see!
Thanks Tracy for sharing!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly enjoyed sharing. I don't get to kidnap folks for the day and do stuff like that. One day we gotta go down to Clear Lake, League City, Kemah and hang out around the water. But I'm sure there are other neat experiences that are here in Houston...Gotta put that camera to use girlie...Time to change some things. Become the change you have been waiting for....

Mon Feb 11, 09:02:00 PM  
Blogger Southern Bound said...

From a far away distance I couldn't resist grabbing a piece of twine, pencil and scrap of paper to leave my signature. Just because I'm feelin the groove of this experience...Hell Yes, I'm interwined. My note: "For as you walk pass this interwoven collage. May the winds & air of your passage intertwine our thoughts to make new sounds, feelings and meditations that will enrich and grow us as a people"

Wed Feb 13, 06:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...Very interesting. Considering that when I was born my parents lived in one of those "row houses" in 3rd Ward.

I know live some 20 miles from "The Tre'" as we call it in Houston. But I will never forget it.

Thu Feb 21, 09:29:00 AM  
Blogger Khali said...

wow! yr parents lived there...tell me more! i was moved by the entire project & what it now represents. i bet u have fond memories of those days....please share next time u drop a line.

thnx

Thu Feb 21, 10:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home