Tuesday

After reading Senator Barack Obama's speech today, I could hardly contain my eagerness to put it on my post. America, we should ALL be grateful to finally have a leader with great strength and sincerity, addressing the inequality of all races in our country. As an African American woman, I am insulted that it even had to come to this.

All too often, in the workplace, in our schools or in social environments, WE, the African American people have had to "plead our case, if you will". We have had to explain “our lifestyles away, our hair, our speech, our education, the why’s and the how’s” to the individuals who like to keep us divided. In other words, Barack made it plain, today. He made it real plain. Do you get it now people?

After reading and hearing several divisive remarks from news panels on Obama’s speech, I say to you…. “What do you want from this man, blood”?

For those of you who believe in Senator Barack Obama, I challenge us all to lead by the example he exhibits. And for those who are still somewhat confused… I say “ Oh yes God please Bless America”!!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Standing in the office today after being able to see AND hear Sen. B Obama's response to America I was disgusted at the way the black folk in the office began the "we vs they" conversation.
I printed out the speech and pointed out the part where Obama spoke of the plight of the White middle class man. The man in the office that was listening to these black folk. It was interesting how these black folk felt quit avenged by Barack's speech and I said...you weren't listening. it wasn't for any particular ethnicity..it was for all of us...

We got a longgggggggggg way to go. but if each one teach one...we may get there...we just might get there.

Tue Mar 18, 07:07:00 PM  
Blogger Khali said...

thanks PG! and youre right, we have a longggg way to go, but we will get there! and its teachers like u who are making it happen!

Wed Mar 19, 08:37:00 AM  
Blogger Southern Bound said...

Speechless, but I will give it a try. The words of Brack Obama's speech will be marked as a turning point for all americans. Not just blacks, but all americans. It brought the converstaion of race and its pains associated with it, in the most thoughtful and eloquent way, back to the front of every american's frontal lobe. It reminded me of the speech that JFK gave to reach the consciousness of americans that religion as is race should not prevent a person from obtaining their destiny. JFK squashed the notion that a Catholic could not unite and run a country. And now it is Obama's time to squashed the notion that a black man can do the same thing. Run Obama Run!

Wed Mar 19, 10:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ve always been tempted to respond in the blog but never have, because of what I thought was not enough time or too many things on my plate, or whatever other excuse I could come up with. But I have read every entry and enjoy the insightful questions and answers that you all post. With the blog entry about former Governor Elliot Spitzer, I desperately wanted to respond but time elapsed and now a new entry has surfaced which I am not only compelled to respond to but I feel my heart cannot let pass by…
I just saw Barack Obama’s speech and WOW!!! This is a historical speech which I think should go down as one of the greats, along with, I dare say, Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. I have never in my lifetime seen someone so eloquently voice what I and I think many others feel about race in America. The brother laid it down! I hope America listens. We should no longer have to explain why most of us live in poverty or why many of us are from broken families or why we’re less educated. We all knew why but did they know it?? Why can’t we have this discussion in America? Isn’t this country supposed to be a melting pot? Why is it that every time a black person says something that may go against the grain of what’s considered nice or politically correct, we’re labeled “angry” or a “reverse racist?” Thank you Barack for telling them why. Also, thank you for pointing out that ALL of us need to have this discussion about race. Black people need to get real with ourselves. We all know someone who has made inappropriate comments and I don’t just mean the white co-worker I share a cubicle with. These comments many times I expect. They come from ignorance. Barack helped me open my eyes and realize that they also come from fear and these fears, the underlying reason behind them, are what we need to address. But the comments that hurt me the most are the ones coming from my own. I have older relatives which say cringe-worthy things about fellow African-Americans. I cringe when I hear a Black person call another Niggah (especially when there are white people around – Oh Lord!). These comments come from a systemic policy of racial divide and self-hate. We need to stop pointing fingers and look within ourselves. Yes, we do have reasons for our predisposition that dates back hundreds of years but are we going to finally have that discussion or are we going to play the card and point fingers like the political pundits?

Wed Mar 19, 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger Khali said...

tell it "Earthmother"! thank u for joining the blog comments! we look forward to what u have to share in the future! u are right on target with yr comments and thank u for not holding back on the mentioning the demise of some of us using the "N" word. consciousness is always relative!

oh, by the way...i'm going to send u & yr cube-mate a barack paperweight, maybe then he'll come around! LOL

Wed Mar 19, 01:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home