I grew up listening to Roberta Flack and memorizing every word to every song. At the time...for me, she was a mirror image of all African American women, especially my mother. Thursday
I grew up listening to Roberta Flack and memorizing every word to every song. At the time...for me, she was a mirror image of all African American women, especially my mother. Strong, Gifted and Black. ...an image that I will never forget.
I love that I can take pride in the women that have come before me...
(who or what image inspires u?)
5 Comments:
I grew up without an image to be inspired by. I grew up with the need to just escape from my damn life. I wanted to be anywhere and anyone that wasn't me. so I'm still looking for a person. Instead my inspirations are sunrises and sunsets. Beginnings and endings. Always forward movement...
The image that inspires me is the thought of a whole race of people...chained, compacted and seasick aboard a slave ship.
Through the grace of GOD only a few survived to make it ashore.
After that my people were persecuted, ridiculed, killed and treated unfairly as a whole and yet able to survive. I feel proud to be of African descent.
And I feel that this sacrifice cannot be taken for granted. What excuse do I have for not thriving and being successful in this life? Do I face the same obstacles? NO.
My great-grandfather had a farm with 20 acres...13 kids and a restroom inside is home. Out of those 13 childreb at least 6 were college graduates.
That's what inspires me! - NUPE84
wow nupe84, that inspires me. thnx for the reminder that we all didn't get this far alone!
thnx brother!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home