Excuse me if I rant for a moment about the heavy load I was carrying. You see, I use to go to work eVeryday with a shoulder bag knee deep in papers, files, and many other things that I deemed too important to leave at home. Although I knew my purse would be enough to get through the day; somehow I was not satisfied unless I was loaded down.Well, something happened last week that literally made me check myself. I was walking past a window in my office building and took a glance at my reflection. When I saw myself, I thought “who is that girl who looks like the weight of the world is on her shoulders?” I don’t carry a laptop, I’m not an attorney and I finished school a while ago, so what was the need for the file cabinet on my back??
I convinced myself for a long time that I carried it for preparedness, to stay organized, or maybe to have a catchall in those times of sheer boredom, but I was only kidding myself. I needed that weight. It was familiar and it was comfortable. When I left my home in the morning, I was prepared to go to Zambia if I was asked. Passport in tow, bank statements, maps, books u name it.
It’s been a successful seven days since I let go of that bag….and it has made a huge difference in my reflection. However, I recently returned from vacation. And when I was picked up from the airport, I was greeted with the comment, “I know you don’t just have one bag…that wouldn’t be you”. Hmmm…..I thought; they were right. Now I will admit, it’s a little different when you’re on vacation. I mean what woman doesn’t wanna pack their entire closet, right? But funny thing was….no one else on the trip had overpacked, but me. So here I go again….
3 Comments:
…Erykah Badu wrote a song called “Bag Lady”. Metaphorically, it symbolizes a little more than preparedness. It signifies carrying unwarranted pain, unhealthy relationships or dreams never materialized, whinin’, the why’s the how comes, the why not me’s that stay with us in our everyday life. Check it out….
“Bag lady you gone hurt your back
Draggin all them bags like that
I guess nobody ever told you
All you must hold on to
Is you, is you, is you
One day all them bags gone get in
You way
So pack light
Bag lady you gone miss your bus
You can’t hurry up cause you too much stuff
When they see you comin
He take off runnin
From you, it’s true, oh yes they do
One day he gone say, you crowdin
My space
So pack light
Girl I know, sometimes it’s hard
And we can’t let go
Oh when someone hurts you oh so
Bad inside
You can’t deny it, you can’t stop cryin
So oh oh oh
If you start breathin
Then you won’t believe it
You’ll feel so much better
(so much better baby)
Bag lady
Let it go
Girl you don’t need it
I betcha love can make it better”
I KNOW that I carry a whole lotta shiggidy on me. I guess that's why the Universe saw fit to put my car on hiatus for the weekend. This means one of many things for me..
1. I will have to rely upon others to assist me or ride my bike everywhere this weekend LOL
2. I will be at home tearing up or completing unfinished projects
3. I will be at home doing nothing, sinking into a boredom induced depression that will have me blogging some blue and black words that will bring everyone DOWN
4. it will be a wonderful weekend and I'll work in my unruly yard or have a friend or two come by and hang out
5. Khali will RESCUE me an we'll either do mojitos, parfaits or movies and pizza at her place.
6..I'll keep coming in here listing because I DREAD sitting still.
Okay so that's my bag. Funny thing is that things are being removed from my bag not by me but through Divine intervention and I don't know what to do with myself to fill the void but I don't know how to be still with it beyond typing a few words...
I LOVE the elephant photo!!!
ok...some of us carry baggage in a different kind of way. On our butts. It's harder to hide. You can't just put the bag down. However, if you could just put the fork down, then of course, there would be less baggage to carry.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home