Thursday

“The Girl with the Good Job”
(Disclaimer: the names have been changed in order to protect the ballers)


Do you remember back in the day, when you heard your grandparents label someone who was doing well for themselves as, “the girl or boy with the good job”? I know…I know…stop laughing… because oddly enough, that title still exists!

My friend Todd amusingly asks me about the girl in my office with the good job. Let’s call her Shannon. Now…even though I know he’s teasing every time he uses that phrase….it does kinda make one think… What constitutes a “good job”?

Is it money, status or is it in the eyes of the beholder? Todd seems to think that it’s someone who has control over their future. I beg to differ; if you don’t own the company, you’re never really in control of anything… are you?

For some people, if your family is at least being provided for…then there lies “the good job”! …and what about the folks who diligently scour the newspapers for weeks to land any old job; when they finally get a call back…. they become “the one with the good job”! What if a woman with three kids whose gone without for so long suddenly lands a gig…. does she become “the one with the good job”? And finally, let’s remember the mom who decides to take less money to work from home and be near her children…. she’s GOT to be “the one with the good job”!

I guess, whether you’re ballin’ or crawlin’ ….it’s really all a state of mind anyway. Let me know what's on your mind...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

as long you working for somene else with them dictating how much time you spend on teh internet, personal calls,lunch or bathroom breaks it aint the good job...

The best job I had was when I made enough to cover all my bills and have some fun money left over and I worked from wherever my little ass pleased!!!

Thu Jun 19, 10:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home