Wednesday


A Shift in Consciousness

As a child, each year I watched my grandmother and grandfather walk to the corner of Kenwood & Chandler on Election Day to vote. I always knew it was an important day, because of their unspoken dedication and proud stride. As par for the course, they’d come back to the house with little vintage buttons for us to clip on our shirts that said “I voted today”. I never knew who they were voting for, but I did know that I’d be sportin' that button the next day in elementary school. Back then I also never realized the true significance of my grandparents’ vote, but I did know that by dinner time on Election Day, they would be fastened to the local news with me asking “who’s winning…who’s winning?”

Fast forward to Tuesday, November 4, 2008some things are still a familiar presence. The polls give out buttons (but in the form of stickers), folks still remain silent on their political posture, we've all become CNN junkies, my niece & nephew beg to wear their Obama shirts to school, and more importantly…African Americans still walk to the polls with a great pride.

However similar the stride or containment of passion, there has definitely been a shift in consciousness. America has risen to the top...and on point too!!! Today, as I traveled to work...I could hardly keep the smile off of my face. I stopped to buy a few of my co-workers the morning newspaper for this historical moment. As I passed several people of all nationalities; some were sheepishly grinning, blushing and smiling...security guards raising their fists with excitment....no one really realizing we should scream to the top of our lungs and let all our ancestors spirits come out & celebrate this memorable occasion!
OH YES AMERICA, THERE HAS BEEN A SHIFT IN CONSCIOUSNESS,
...WE'VE REGAINED IT!!
My grandparents, would be even more proud on this Election Day and finally proud to have voted for the right man, President Barack Obama!!
....special shout out to my people in Ohio and Florida for gettin' out there and participating in the battleground states! We see you workin'...we see you'!
GO-HIO * MIAMI!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home