Ok, after a day of shopping, I took a mad detour to my favorite pitstop, Taco Milagro or as my cousins call it, “taco my negro”! As I walked in the door this brutha was smiling & shouting out the name “Vida?” I looked at him strangely…(bcuz I obviously ain’t Vida)! With a puzzled look , he waved his hand & shouted again, “u Vida”? I finally told him “I’m sorry, but I’m not who you think I am.” It was then that I realized he was waiting on a blind date. ...hmmm, my curiousity was now peaked! Now, even I want to know who Vida was! As I sat there waiting on my order, Vida (a sistah) finally showed up and old boy didn’t even stand up to greet her. He shook her hand as she fumbled for a chair to sit in so she wouldn’t block his view of the game. As he sat there drinking his tall refreshing glass of whatevah…I noticed he never even asked Vida if she wanted anything to drink. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt by thinking he was just nervous…but even my own brother woulda offered me a drink!!!
Although my order was takeout, it still took some time…so while waiting, I began to feel sorry for Vida…like I knew her, right?? This is what I wanted to tell her:
"Vida…Vida…Vida…I hope your mind was made up the moment that brutha didn’t stand to even acknowledge your presence. …and although I know you can buy your own drink…wouldn’t it have been nice if he at least asked? It’s been awhile since I’ve walked in your shoes…and although it has happened….it will never ever be customary. A man should always make you feel welcomed in his presence. It may not be a match, but common courtesy goes a long way. Uh oh, I see him looking down at his watch now… "here WE go"! He obviously came with an exit plan. Did you come with yours? ….…alright, my food’s here Vida...I see you’re still trying to make conversation, while he stares at the screen. C’mon girl … get up….c’mon….do it. Hmm...still gonna test those waters, huh? Alright, I understand. ….I gotta go now; but might I mention, he didn’t stand up when he thought I was you either. ..so I wouldn’t stay too long!"
2 Comments:
I feel ya on this one sista. We and I mean us brothers have to know just how demoralizing our behavior towards women has affected them. Especially our sistas of color. We are birthed out of their struggles. Raised in most cases single-handedly by their sweat, tears and pain. Yet we treat them as if they are disposable. If this one doesn't work for me or if I'm done with that one or if she doesn't appeal to me I'll just get another one...right? Wrong!! Wake Up Dudes! We only want to treat our very own mothers and/or sisters as if they are queens and princess, but when it comes to the others. Well you can fill in the blank.
Take heed my brother and treat them as God intended us to. As the perfect fits for our souls. If she doesn't appeal to you. You can still show kindness and respect. Trust me, it will go a long way for the next guy she meets. For as the saying goes...what goes around, comes around. Peace!
dang Khali, you pretty deep.. I really like this blog and if you're good, I will show you mine
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home