Saturday

Why journaling is not my thing...

I've never been able to read the same book twice, much less watch the same movie again - so why did I think I could conjure up my past to jot down in a book? Quite frankly, I find myself more obsessed with the beautifully packaged journal, than I do with the writing. I always thought if I kept a journal or wrote a memoir, mine would only capture glimpses of my life, because the parts worth remembering are usually the parts worth reading. For example, no one really wants to hear how you're on a diet, but rather how you know it's not working from all the dirty spoons in your sink...and no one wants to know why your husband had an affair, but more importantly, why you so vividly recall what you wore the day you found out...and no one wants to spend hours upon hours hearing details of your life, when the real element is staring them in the face. (...and by the way, those characters remain fictional for me, 'cept for maybe the spoons, smiles) I remember working as a camp counselor for special needs children at 18 years of age, and although a rewarding experience, the beauty then was seeing my grandparents waiting for me in the parking lot on my weekends off. Even at that young age, the pride in their faces spoke volumes to me. So yes for me, the beauty is not always in what the average person jots down, I find the beauty in the connection of the glimpses in my past - because in the end, the real journey is what happens in between.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home